Re: Chrome Moly steel vs. Stainless steel

To: "LSR list" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chrome Moly steel vs. Stainless steel
From: "atrav" <atrav@copper.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:14:19 -0400
To reply to myself. ;o)
In researching this, online, plus books like the Machinery's Handbook, Aircraft
Spruce, and etc.
It seems the definition of stainless steel is at least 10.5% chromium content.
It's the nickel in
the 300 series stainless that makes it non-magnetic, but there is low nickel
stainless (400 series?)
that is magnetic.
Even though there are various types of chrome moly, all seem to be magnetic, as
all have low nickel
contents.
Please let me know if I'm wrong about any of this...
The bottom line is- for years I haven't been able to find a competent
machinist. This guy has had
three jobs from me, the first two were 'good enough' but this third one seems
to be FUBAR all the
way. Not only were the measurements wrong, but it looks like he made them in
stainless instead of
regular cold rolled steel. ARG!
These spacers are (were?) to be welded to the frame of one of my motorcycle
projects, as part of the
swing arm mounts. It seems to me that welding stainless mounts to a mild steel
frame would be a bad
idea.
-Aron-