Re: Chrome Moly steel vs. Stainless steel

To: "Phillip Landry" <saltracer@hotmail.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chrome Moly steel vs. Stainless steel
From: "atrav" <atrav@copper.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:29:03 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip Landry" <saltracer@hotmail.com>

> I believe 4140 chrome moly tubing is magnetic and also are some stainless
> materials. 400 series? You could take a small pass on a bench grinder, I
> believe the stainless is usually a whiter spark and is softer, maybe a file
> would show a difference in feel. Hope this helps. Phil

Hmm, I thought stainless had few or no sparks, and chrome moly lots of sparks.
Mainly I'm just trying to prove that these spacers are stainless, they're
non-magnetic, and have the
look and feel of stainless too. Initially he said he would make them from mild
cold rolled steel,
then said they were chrome moly when I picked them up. I didn't measure them
when I picked them up
(trust you know), but they were wrong when I measured them at home, and are
probably stainless to
boot. :o(
IMO he's the type to twist and wiggle when it's his mistake, so I want my facts
to be solid when
next I talk to him.
-Aron-