Re: Chrome Moly steel vs. Stainless steel

To: "LSR list" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chrome Moly steel vs. Stainless steel
From: "atrav" <atrav@copper.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:34:29 -0400
The conclusion, after three tests, these bushings are stainless steel. No
magnet sticks to them,
there are very few sparks when hit with a grinder, and I've had one sitting in
salt water for three
days with nary a change.

The bottom line is that machinist was just plain lying about them being chrome
moly, and since I
emailed him and left a message on his answering machine, with no response from
either, he's not
interested in the situation either. They were machined wrong anyway, hole too
big, what does he care
I guess.

So, I had another machinist do it, regular cold rolled steel like I wanted all
along, within spec,
and already welded in. A done deal.

If you all are curious, here's one of the bushings tacked in-->
http://www.mayhemr.us/tackbushing.jpg
And after welding and grinding-->
http://www.mayhemr.us/aftbushing.jpg
These are for the swingarm bolt of my current motorcycle project. I decided I
needed more 'meat' for
the bolt, and here we go...
Such a little thing that gave two weeks of FUBAR.

-Aron-