Chrome Moly steel vs. Stainless steel

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Chrome Moly steel vs. Stainless steel
From: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:22:31 -0700
Huh?  Reaching back into my metalurgy memory banks, I've never heard of
any non-austinitic stainless or other steel that wasn't magnetic.   I'd
say if a magnet won't stick, you've got typical 18-8 or 300-series
stainless steel there.  It is, I believe, the crystal (grain?) structure
that determines whether or not a material is magnetic; even some
stainless steels can have several percent nickel I think and still be
magnetic because they have a different structure.
Benn