RE: Internal Radiator

To: "3liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: Internal Radiator
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 05:32:50 -0400
We never tried to see how small we could make it. it is currently larger
thatit needs to be. A winston cup rad in 20 gallons. It was originally
designed to be big enough so it no longer mattered what engine was in the
car. currently it has seen 680-700 hp and with a 180 thermostat the water in
the tank get warm to the touch at Bonneville. For 500 hp i would be temped
to try 10 or 12 gallons with a import radiator in the tank. basically if you
take the radiator and allow a couple inches clearance all around in every
direction it is pretty hard to not build a 12 gallon tank. Be sure to put a
large vent in the tank so that as the water heats if it gets to boiling the
steam can get out. With this system don't forget you have both the BTU
rating and the latent heat if the water gets to boiling. My real push for it
was to also have a pressurized cooling system without any aero losses.
Dave