Re: Braided Hose

To: "Bryan Savage" <b.a.savage@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Braided Hose
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 04:42:13 -0500
And I tried so hard to stay out of this one...

All hoses are designed for different applications...  The blue stuff is
great and holds pressures fairly well.  Not as good as the stainless.... and
I'd never use a blue hose where it can chaff against something...  The
stainless has some degree of armour protection... and the ability to poke
the living hell out of your hand as your washing it.

The Stainless with the little dark colored dashes is designed for
suction...( read vacuum systems and Dry sumps. )  I'm pretty sure the blue
stuff can stand some degree of Vacuum, but I'm not sure how much.

The new black Kevlar hose is extreamly light weight and can be bent to the
point of crimping without much difficulty... They would have to prove to me
that it could be used in suction applications having played with it on the
new motor.. I'm just not a fan yet... but it's expensive and easy to work
with...

I guess my point is that each has some degree of merit... you'll often see
blue hose on garden tractor's.... my front end loader has strickly
stainless... helicopters and aircraft use stainless ...  Drag racers seem to
favor the light carbon fiber stuff...  You get to pick the level of comfort
required in each application as you design your car... knowing what each can
and can't do is important.

All of them require cleaning after you assemble them.... and I've kind of
set up a program in my shop of washing out a hose.... it goes something like
this .... Parts washer.... chemical degreaser.... hot water ... then high
pressure air from each side till it's truely dry and then I hang it up for
the night if I have the time.

Keith