How To Go Racing at Bonneville John Thawley Sequel

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: How To Go Racing at Bonneville John Thawley Sequel
From: "The Weldons" <2weldons@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:00:03 -0700
Why am I talking about this?  I often thought that after 25 years had passed
since John Thawley wrote his book on "How to Go Racing at Bonneville" someone
should put together an update that would give current info to the prospective
racer or spectator that would be useful.  Getting there and staying the week
is a project; regardless of whether you are campaigning a car for the first
time, just spectating or something in-between.  I had an email conversation
the other day with an autoshop teacher back East that left me wishing I had
something to share with his students that would help them to get pumped on
land speed racing and actually go to Speedweek. I didn't have anything.

Back in 1992 in a spirit of wanting to "pay my dues" I volunteered to work at
the August event wherever I could help.  Mike Manghelli, the BNI chairman at
the time said he needed someone to do the refreshments circuit . That meant
delivering cool drinks and lunches to the various event workers, who were
spread out over as approximately 15 square mile area of the Salt between the
entrance, pits, starting line, timing tower and two courses.  I kept pretty
busy for 7 days.  But during that unforgettable experience I kept thinking to
myself that someone ought to chronicle this "behind the scenes" story I was
witnessing of what I consider to be one of the World's premier racing events.
That assignment gave me a firsthand look.

Now not everybody will agree with me about the "premier" adjective; but there
are a few for whom this is the only real form of racing.  And some of us worry
a little bit about the day when the number of us will start to become fewer.
So how can we deal with this?  Tell the story of what this is all about and
how to participate in the experience.

 Now I'm not a spinmeister.  I'd prefer to avoid the usual documentary
approaches which present a few stories about selected participants for a mass
media audience; but never get below the surface. Others have done this. The
message is always "Marvel at this achievement that you, the unworthy, can
never approach".   I want to follow Thawley's approach and tell you what
you'll want to know to become a participant.  That's in the spirit of even the
spectators at this remote desert happening being participants (which they
really are) as well as the racers themselves.

Sometime after the "epiphany" during my refreshments tour I had another
thought about collecting some info on potential rest spots on I80 through
Nevada so I'd know the best spots to pull off and sleep while making the
inevitable late night drive across Nevada to Wendover.  As usual I overdid
this effort and so decided to share my findings with the subscribers to the
LandSpeedDigest website.  That prompted the request from the Autoshop
teacher.

I realized that I was talking through him to a group of young people with a
burning interest in cars (it's in the genes, man!!) and had nothing to offer
from my quarter! (Score F- for sales promotion).

This is not a small project.  I have real doubts about whether I could summon
the resources and energy to pull it off.  I could sure use some help.  Maybe
it would be better for me to help someone else put his own name on it.  That's
fine with me.  I have a race car to finish.  But I think this is something
worthwhile.  With all the forces arrayed against us we really need to work at
preserving our sport.

Anyone interested?