RE: Rear Spoiler Questions

To: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>, drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>,
Subject: RE: Rear Spoiler Questions
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:42:40 -0700 (PDT)
Mayf,
I tend to agree for one particular reason.  When I first started running my
Camaro, unknown to me, it had been in a front end wreck and the front fenders
were a tiny bit out of whack, as was the lower front valance. It didn't show up
until I added the closed off RS grille and lower air dam.  The inch of offset
really showed up beginning at a lowly 120, and it took more and more
countersteer to keep the car straight as the speed went up.  I repaired it and
straightened it all out and it ran fine after that.  The offset was not even
visible. My guess is, when you get up in speed a little, you will feel the
aerodynamic pull from that offset cage and your head and upper torso sticking
up in the wind on one side of the car.  Compensating with a rear spoiler seems
a good way out.

How about a roadster guy commenting.  Do you feel the drag of a driver and cage
all on one side of the car at speed?
Dick J

"Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com> wrote:
Mayf;

Why not? If your airflow is asymmetrical, make your spoiler asymmetrical
to even out the aero effects.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Yahoo! for Good