RE: Rear Spoiler Questions

To: "Wester Potter" <wester6935@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: Rear Spoiler Questions
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 07:57:01 -0400
FWIW If the back of the sunbeam looks anything like the back of a berkly the
spoiler while interesting did nothing on the berkly other than slow it down.
Every part that was removed from that 'aero device' only increased speed and
never changed any downforce in a measurable way, the car is instrumented on
all 4 corners. best run was a 260+ by ted wenze on good salt with 680 hp and
everything removed. This year it went 259 with 720 hp on bad salt with the
'spoiler' in place. I suspect all it spoils is performance. I also suspect a
carefully placed vortex generator would be way more helpful than a sail
placed perpendicular to the direction of travel. It has been also tested
with the asymetric roll cage on one side of the car to 260 by 3 different
drivers running between 240 to 260 with absolutly no comment. Personally i
would fix the 'problem' after it rears it's ugly head..
dave