RE: New project

To: <MPittwood@compuserve.com>,
Subject: RE: New project
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:39:27 -0500
Malcolm;

I noted in their Technical section that they recognize the potential
problems with torque reaction & gyroscopic precession on their jet
engine; also the disadvantages to frontal area & drag of the jet air
intake and the rider's position relative to the engine.

These problems can all be overcome by a rocket motor. It's very small so
the frontal area can be minimized, it requires no air intake duct and no
rotating mass means the torque & precession problems are eliminated. A
rider can be positioned in front of the motor and fuel/oxidizer tanks.

I have an Aerojet- General rocket motor from the upper stage of a Nike-
Ajax. It has a diameter of only about 7" but has a static thrust of
2,000 lbs and it weighs a small fraction of a J-58. If I remember
correctly it consumes RFNA (red fuming nitric acid) and aniline about
10lbs per second. Anyone for putting the world's fasted moped in the
record books?

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ