Re: drag behind a car

To: SCowle@mentorcollege.edu, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: drag behind a car
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 13:26:41 EST
Scott,  I'm sure you've seen the  rear taper to the body on the Honda Insight
hybrid cars
designed for high fuel mileage ...... it sort of recalls the polliwog shape
of the Summers
Brothers streamliner of that nickname .  The designers were obviously  trying
to gain a
little bit on the mileage numbers by reducing the drag on this car, agreed  ?
 I think it is an established fact that a Teardrop Shape is VERY  Aerodynamic
as it passes thru the air.
      Does the class you intend to run in  allow any body contour-altering
modifications at all ?   The very  famous Sanchez - LoCosta - Kamboor heavily
chopped  competition coupe that ran at Bonneville and the lakes even had its
headlight fairings removed and blended in to the front fenders to reduce  drag.
Class rules determine most everything that you can do to increase  your
racecar's speed, so thorough knowledge of your allowable  mods will be a good
starting point ......  I suggest you read  about SmokeyYunick's crafty tricks
reduce drag in his oval cars, back in the  era when a clever builder could
match
his own brain against his fellow  competitors: ie, before the stifling Nascar
rules tied the hands of  all the innovative owners / builders, and mechanics
in what became a  totally commercialized touring show that just happens to run
automobiles at  certain oval tracks & road courses.  Let us all hope that LSR
always remains the Last Bastion of Innovative Racing for the gifted amatuer
builder, mechanic, tinkerer or inventor !    Good Luck on your  New and Faster
Project !!!
        EVER SEE A RESTRICTOR PLATE ON  THE SALT / AT THE LAKES / OR
                   THERE AT MAXTON WHERE YOU'VE RUN ???
Bruce