RE: drag behind a car

To: "Scott Cowle" <SCowle@mentorcollege.edu>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: drag behind a car
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 10:13:02 -0600
Scott;

I think the airflow required to flow through an internal duct to relieve
that low -pressure area behind a car would be enormous. Shaping the
bodywork to allow the external airflow over the body to smoothly merge
into the area behind the car is what will keep that area from creating a
very low pressure. Doing that without creating parasitic drag is the
difficult trick.

Take a look at Jim Hall's last Chaparral-- the intent of those blowers
was to create a low- pressure area under the car for downforce but their
exhausts were into the rear low- pressure area behind the car-- a
"twofer."

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ