RE: [Fwd: Another Whiz-Bang Spark Plug]

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [Fwd: Another Whiz-Bang Spark Plug]
From: "Jon Amo" <jonamo@landracing.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 10:35:25 -0700
List,

Just information on Bryans comment about plug usage in your engine.
This is my opinion I have no data to backup my claims but from experience
in the automotive industry.

DO NOT use platinum tip plugs in a distributor ignition. I commonly see
this from DIY'ers that come to me to find why they have less gas milage.
I do not think the firing voltage is suffieient enough to fire these plugs
on consistant basis. I see this on a 4 osilliscope when scoping igntion
patterns.

And it is true to say that DO NOT use a regular plug in a engine that
uses platinum tips. Most distributorless ignitions (DIS) system use a
waste spark and will reduce the firing on a non platinum plug in very
few miles.

Another reason on using the correct plug is Platinum tip plugs are NOT
made to be gapped. You can hurt the electrodes by gapping these type
of plugs because it is a fine wire... Use the OEM plug, it will not
have to be gapped... If is off by another plug. Chances are it has
been dropped or mishandled...

Imports are most important for using a correct plugs. Rough engine
idleing, misfires, and lost gas milage I have found direct problems
with the incorrect plug.

It is important to use the correct plug for the engine. Use a AC/DELCO
in a chevy and Motorcraft in a Ford etc etc.

And most important DO NOT use a dual, trio, or quad tip plugs. These
are the worst and I think are an upsale at part stores.... The only
manufacture that uses a dual tip plug that I have seen is Toyota as
OEM...

You want the best gas milage use the correct plug, the CORRECT oil,
and tire pressures...  Dont forget to clean fuel injections
systems. If you do not have a machine the best and only product that I
would endourse is the BG44K. A true fuel injection machine that goes
thru the fuel injectors only with no supply of fuel from tank is hte
best. I have a boroscope to see the difference before and after, it is
amazing to see how clean these systems get the fuel system, and carbon
out of the combustion chamber.

Jon