Re: OT weather-winter

To: Chris Harris <yesford@clear.net.nz>
Subject: Re: OT weather-winter
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:56:00 -0500
On Tuesday, December 13, 2005, at 03:09  PM, Chris Harris wrote:

> List,   I've got to say this moving snow off the driveway and front
> yard has me fascinated coming from a mild winter climate country.
> Your obviously not allowed to blow your snow out onto the road so
> where does it go.
> Like over to the neighbours and he passes it on till its in the park
> at the end of the street or what.
> Got to cause neighbourly strife at times.....no.
>
> Chris H.............29 degrees C, warm breeze, Hawkes Bay, NZed
> Your messages not reaching the list?

Chris, it's understandable for you to ask your question about "blowing"
the snow.  Yes, I've got a snowblower, but it takes quite a bit longer
to use that (8HP, cuts a 27" path) machine to clear all of our
driveways -- than it does to use the '89 GMC Jimmy with a SBC for power
and a 7 1/2' plow on the front.  I use a small electric blower to clear
the front deck (12' x 32') -- that takes about 10 minutes.

We have NO neighbors (well, yes we do, but the nearest is about 1/4
mile away) and live on a lonely country road in the middle of a forest,
but there is a law prohibiting pushing snow across the roadway (to the
opposite side/snowbank).  I push it across anyway (again, no neighbors
to worry about) and clean up the roadway well enough after I'm done
removing the snow from our drives that the county road commission isn't
likely to be pissed at me for leaving berms in the road.

I'll send along a photo or two tomorrow - so you can get a better idea
of snow in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Regards,

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing