Re: steering LSR only

To: Jimwprice@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: steering LSR only
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 12:34:11 -0800 (PST)
Witha beam front axle, when one wheel drops into a hole, the entire axle, tie
rod, spindles and kinkpins move together, both wheels moving an equal amount.
With independent front suspension and a solid tie rod, when that same wheel
drops into a hole, rather than everything moving together, the solid tie rod
yanks the steering arm from the distant wheel an amount to compensate for the
drop into the hole, violent bump steer.  everytime you hit a small bump on the
salt, the car will veer from right to left, trying to follow in the direction
of the bump.

   I temporarily bolted on a solid tierod (on an S10) just so I could move the
frame around the yard.  One bump spun the steering wheel right out of my hand.

  Go with rack and pinion.

  Dick J
  In east Texas

Now share photos without attaching a thing.
 Check out PhotoMail  from Yahoo! Mail.