World's Fastest Indian

To: land speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: World's Fastest Indian
From: dan warner <dwarner230@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 07:04:41 -0800 (PST)
This is the email I sent to Kevin Wilson at Autoweek regarding the article.

  DW

  Kevin,

  I read with interest the artical of 02/09/06 re: the movie The World's
Fastest Indian.

  I have been attending Bonneville race meets since 1964, sometimes up to three
events per year weather permitting. The statement your publication makes that
land speed racers are offended by the movie does not represent the feelings of
anyone I know of in my extended LSR family. The movie is clearly about an
Indian motorcycle record and not the 'fastest' motorcycle.

  Your statement that the current 'fastest' record belongs to Dave Campos is
also false on a couple of levels. While it is true that Dave holds the FIM
record, Sam Wheeler from California holds the National speed record in excess
of 332 mph. The majority of dedicated land speed racers don't give a fig about
the FIM or FIA records, the bottom line is the answer to the question "who is
fastest?" Those organizations do not provide good service to the LSR community
and have worn out their welcome

  Those of us who were fortunate enough be present when Burt was making his
runs remember him as a dedicated racer, a gentleman and a character. I think
the movie did a good job in presenting Burt and his love of speed to the mass
audience very well.

  Please join us at an event at the salt in the near future and see what all
the fuss is about. Be careful, you might get hooked and come down with Salt
Fever, for which there is no known cure.

  Dan Warner
  SCTA-BNI Rules Chairperson
  SCTA-BNI Record Certification
  www.scta-bni.org

"Certainly, there is great wisdom behind the rulebook's recommendation..." ron
07/14/05

 Yahoo! Mail