Re: Dust?

To: Wester Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Dust?
From: Doug Odom <dlodom@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 11:26:37 -0800
Wes, Having raced at Muroc, El Mirage and Lake Gairdner, also AMA
motorcycles in the desert I guess I know a little about dust. Muroc dust
is the very worst of any I have ever seen. Air won't blow it off and
even water from a hose won't wash it off. Its like talc powder and you
have to wipe it off with a damp rag. The road to Gairdner is very much
like the road to Callaways at El Mirage but much longer trip. Like most
dirt roads in the desert there will be places that are sandy, hard like
DG and places that are red from the iron ore. You turn off the paved
highway at a place called Iron Knob because of the huge mound of iron
ore that is there. It was not a very hard thing to clean up the car and
the motor home when we were there. They have a place at the edge of the
lake where you stop and wash the dust off your vehicle going onto the
lake and the salt off coming back. Kind of over kill for as big as that
lake is but that is their rules.    Doug Odom in big ditch looking
forward to going  back next year.