RE: I need help, RE: Worlds fastest Indian (NONLSR)

To: "Bryan Savage" <b.a.savage@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: I need help, RE: Worlds fastest Indian (NONLSR)
From: "Tom Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:37:17 -0800
Bryan,

I was a bit taken aback by some of the scenes in the movie, but as has been
said its a movie not a documentary. All said and done, it was a very good
movie, in my opinion.

The shop he lived in for several years while working on his bike is probably
fairly correct. I asked his son, John about him moving into the garage. He
said it was true and it was not a double car garage, it was quite small.

As for the Native American scene, I doubt it.

The drag queen I also doubt, but in the area he was staying could have been
I am sure.

I wasn't aware that he had a heart problem, but in 1962 he was 63 years of
age and health problems did prevent him from returning in 1971.

The car he bought was a Nash, 1941, I believe.

I don't remember what the policy was in 1962, but I doubt that there has
ever been a problem with post entries.

As I remember, the inspection was not done by SCTA, but by AMA. Earl
Flanders was in control of the motorcycles. (this could have caused a
pre-registration issue since I think there was a limit to how many
motorcycles allowed to run at our meet in those days.)

Muro's first year on the salt was 1962. He set the record at 178.971 mph. It
was 1967 that he set the record that still stands @ 183.586 mph.  To qualify
he made a one-way run of 190.07 mph, the  fastest ever officially recorded
speed on an Indian. The movie has him going 201+ mph...not an official time
that I am aware of.