Tl1000s LSR project

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tl1000s LSR project
From: "Arch" <arch@bubent.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 14:30:03 -0700
My name is Arch. I've posted here once before about a week ago looking for
advice and more specifically advice from John Noonan. Noonan replied right
away and even went as far as to give me his work # to ask him specific
questions (thanks again John). Seldom Seen Slim replied to me also and has
been very gracious with his time and willingness to answer my sophomoric
questions about land speed motorcycle racing. Thanks so much.

My questions to John revolved specifically around chassis set up. My TL is
known for being a notorious speed wobbler. It was recalled in 98 for a
steering damper fitment after some British journalist' wadded a couple of
them up (or so the story goes). I myself don't completely buy it but taking
precautions against it isn't a bad idea. I've only had the bars waggle
slightly under very hard acceleration over bumps and man hole covers once or
twice and it was hardly worth mentioning anyway.

John Robinson replied and asked me to share any info I get so that everyone
can learn from it.

This is what I have learned so far from Noonan; John uses 4 to 5 inch swing
arm extenders. He also uses triple clamps that increase the rake 5 degrees
in conjunction with very tight steering stops. I figure since the rake on
the TL and the Hayabusa is very close to being the same stock (23.7 vs. 24
respectively), copying John's set up might be a good place to start.
Especially considering how fast he goes without stability problems.

I can't seem to find anyone on the net that makes swing arm extenders or
triple clamps for a TL (not that I could afford them anyway), I am probably
going to have to fabricate them myself. I am curios if anyone knows if any
of these parts I am talking about, that fit other bikes ( GSXR's, Hayabusa's
etc..) will also fit my TL. If so I might luck out and find something used
or cheap on e-bay or from salvage that might work for me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Arch