JCB Dieselmax

To: Land Speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: JCB Dieselmax
From: "MPittwood@compuserve.com" <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:12:00 -0400
I wonder why some US racers become troubled by a speed car that happens to
carry the name of an engineering company - in this case JCB, on its flanks.
 This so called "corporate" organisation builds back hoe diggers and such
other fine implements for industrial use as the 'Fastrack',  And it builds
diesel engines too.  It is not in the racing or speed business.

The Ricardo people might be compared to a Dave D or a Mike, as they are all
in the 'tune up' business to maximise the power output from something some
one else has produced.  The teams aerodynamacist is a retired former rocket
designer ............. now don't we have such a person in this group based
in the USA?   And their consultant is the former outright land speed record
who first used the Black Rock desert, having been flooded off the salt.
The driver may be a bit special as he tackled rear wheel steering and the
sound barrier and came out with a significant record.

All US racers should just welcome a British team who wants to show its
paces on the Bonneville Salt Flats .............. rather than in South
Africa or Australia or Tunisia or Bolivia or Dubai or indeed any other
location in the world (or indeed a highway in Nevada).

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England