Dry Sump Musings

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Dry Sump Musings
From: Jim Webb <jimwebb@nutsracing.com>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 07:32:52 -0500
OK, so I have racked my brain over this question for quite some time and
still dont have a good answer. Im sure several of you all know about this
and can shed light on the question or at least make some good jokes about
it Heres how the system is set up on the truck, and the questions are at
the end of the description.

Three scavenge lines are connected to the pan, and one line scavenges from
under the intake manifold with the intention of making more crankcase
vacuum. The output of the scavenge pump goes through a strainer and into the
top of the tank. The delivery side is plumbed from the bottom of the tank to
the pump. From the pump the pressurized oil passes through a filter and into
the block. The tank has a vent to atmosphere.

The question is this: Am I screwing up by venting the tank to atmosphere?
All the tanks I look at seem to have a provision to vent to atmosphere. Even
Weavers diagrams of how to set up the systems shows a line from one valve
cover being vented to atmosphere. Why? That would certainly kill crankcase
vacuum. It seems that the goal is to make plenty o vacuum in the crankcase,
but with the discharge of the suction side essentially blowing into
atmospheric pressure, am I getting a vacuum break there? Should there be a
check valve? Am I nuts? BTW, the suction line going to the tank pulses like
it has a heartbeat

Jim Webb