Re: safety devices other than Hans

To: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@wildblue.net>
Subject: Re: safety devices other than Hans
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:02:18 -0700
Bryan, not picking on you, just used your reply to enter my own...

Heck, why not just use an airbag? We coul duse ones like in the street
cars, say one from a small car  All it needs to do is prevent the
whiplash forward and backward and th ejarring impacts. Or we could mold
the into our helmets: one just above the brow line on the helmet and
others on the sides. Just need someting to prevent the violent motions:
if it can give and have some compliance then should be ok. Self deflates
also after a specified time. How much is this going to cost? What are
the statistics involving wrecks, spins and upsets vs how many safe runs
are made? Anybody willing to take on a cost benefit analysis to see if
this is even warranted? Yest there are risks, same as space flight. But
we choose to accept those risks, do we not? SUre yo do not want any one
to legislate what kind of car you build or how safe it might be given an
upset event. We have lots of government programs that have nearly helped
us to death, let's not do it in our sport until it can be proven to be
beneficial in all the different kinds of uset events that can occur.  As
to the bike guys, why not glue wings onto your suits and when you are
thrown off at speed you can glide back to earth. My tongue is nearly out
of joint now from biwen in my cheek ...

mayf