Re: Nascar

To: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@wildblue.net>
Subject: Re: Nascar
From: Wester Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 07:49:50 -0600
Some of the salt racers from the Salt Lake city area are fugitives (if
you will) from the developers and neighbors who used to tolerate the
racing at the Utah State Fairgrounds.  When noise forced them out to
the current drag strip and oval track now being operated as Rocky
Mountain Raceway there was a group of neighbors out there in what is
essentially an industrial area who complained about noise.  The new
Miller Motorsports Park located between Tooele and Grantsville is being
hit with complaints about the noise there, even though it is well
within approved limits next to the Desert Peaks Recreation Area that
was placed in that location to avoid noise hassles.  In each case there
are going to be some who accept the noise, some who tolerate it and
some who will fight it no matter when where or what.

The Western Motel in Wendover and the Wendover Airfield used to be the
places where the racers hung out and made noise 24/7.  As the city grew
and the old barracks at the airfield either fell down or were moved to
other locations, locals there became less tolerant of the noise.  Now I
don't know that a flathead Ford makes as much noise as the B29's did,
but you see that evolution and acceptance of noise lessen everywhere.
On the salt I don't see any noise abatement concerns, ever.  The mining
companies have done their best to draw off the salt as brine without
the general public being aware of the massive shift of some seventy
million tons of salt from the north side of the railroad/freeway
corridor to the south side.  We need to support Save the Salt and keep
Larry Volk aware of our support and concern.  We can't say the salt is
better this year and forget history and the loss of 12-18 inches of
racing surface.  Be informed and involved.

Wes