RE: OK, lets trash NHRA, Nascar, IRL, Formula 1, etc, anybody

To: <Askotto@aol.com>, <FastmetalBDF@aol.com>
Subject: RE: OK, lets trash NHRA, Nascar, IRL, Formula 1, etc, anybody
From: "Tom Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:23:29 -0700
< Every year do you see more and more highly sponsored cars with corporate
backing? Undeniably yes!

Do these highly sponsored cars hold any records the small independent guy
held before? >

Otto & all,

There are some things you probably don't know about our scene. First, there
has been "deep pocket people" approach the SCTA/BNI as long as I can
remember, and they will continue to do so, I suspect. So far, they have been
sent packing. It has been our policy to keep this an amateur sport. Things
have changed over the years, and that is a good thing. When I started being
involved with the administration of the meets, we scrounged up seven
sponsors at $1000 per day and put on the meet with all volunteer laborers,
who were provided rooms and the mid-day meal. (In later years, reimbursement
for fuel costs was doled out if the meet made money) The only thing paid for
was insurance, ambulance and the timer. Trophies were also provided by
sponsorship. I don't know the inter-workings of the administration today,
but I know that there is money paid to several of the workers. That's just
fine with me. Putting the meet on today is a much bigger task than it was in
the 60's.

Second, there have always been corporate people entering cars.  I have seen
many high dollar teams go home with their tails between their legs.
Bonneville is a unique place where conventional wisdom does not rule. We
also have some wealthy individuals that have been running at Bonneville for
many years that I consider more of a threat than the corporate teams. Let's
face it, there are no "low dollar" entries today.  Just to meet the safety
requirements is a big investment.

The main reason NHRA and NASCAR have grown is TV coverage. I enjoy watch
both and do so on a regular basis. As for competing in either, I don't have
the desire or the money. But, Dick LaHaie and his daughter were top fuel
champions in 1987, with little or no sponsorship. Money certainly has its
advantages, but ingenuity and dedication are the driving factors in our
sport. Well tuned "junk" will out perform some of the "high dollar" engines
I have seen on the salt.

That's my take on the subject.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC