RE: Spindle Torque (was Things to do---)

To: "Doug Odom" <dlodom@charter.net>, "3 liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Spindle Torque (was Things to do---)
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:24:25 -0500
Elon;

Our procedure for adjusting the front wheel bearing preload on the
McLaren was to raise the front of the car off the ground and give the
tire a spin by hand. We'd tighten the nut until there was a perceptible
slowing of the rotation and then back off a slight amount. This was
repeated a few times to make sure the grease was distributed in the
bearing and it resulted in a very solid feel but allowed a little room
for thermal expansion as the bearings heated up in operation.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ