Re: JCB this, JCB that... I'm tired of it!

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: JCB this, JCB that... I'm tired of it!
From: "Arne Hulstein" <arne.hulstein@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 21:27:04 +0200
I am sorry Otto, but isn't this too harsh on the guys? JCB set a new diesel
record. JCB is a manufacturer of equipment that usually isn't used to break
the sound barrier, but does use a lot of diesel engines. Their diesel push
vehicle is pretty much as they can sell it here in Europe. What is it you
are thinking? Can landspeed racing only be a grassroots sports? Are the only
cars really achieving anything the ones which were built in backyard garages
by eye and just spannering? Personally I don't think so. I love the JCB
effort as much as the next guy running a budget racer. Outfits such as JCB
get the sport back into the European's attention. I know a lot of you guys
would rather not have that and keep the salt available to a select group of
maybe 50 cars, but is that what would be good for the sport? Or good for the
ones watching it? Boycotting all media attention will keep the lines shorter
though...

All in al, how many home-built cars are really benefitting from the
techniques similar to that of the JCB cars? CAD design is no longer the
kingdom of big money men. Lots of people know people that can do CAD. And
more and more computer design, engine management and similar techniques are
used by backyard builders. And, to be honest, I hope more and more of these
techniques make it onto cars. Because that is the way forward. Even though
the 32 Pierson Bros coupe is still one of the cooles looking shapes on the
salt...

Just my .02 euros