Re: Carr runs big numbers?

To: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Carr runs big numbers?
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 21:16:12 -0700
Glen
I have a lot of respect for your position on this issue.  But your thoughts
expressed in your last post have a tone of closing the door on further
discussion of the subject.  I disagree.  IMHO this part of the rulebook
needs a bit of refinement.

I do agree that experience on other racing surfaces does not offer much
qualification for the Salt.  But how about experience gained on the Salt
under another organization's banner?  How about experience at Lake Gairdner?
The rule book is silent on these cases.

Another issue is the meaning of the words "inactive competition"  in the
last paragraph of section 1.M.  The fellows I was helping this year actually
faced the uncertainty of those words.  The backup driver had a B license
from 2002.  Since that date he had only raced in a cars well under 175.
Question was when he climbed into a 200+ roadster (a proven handful at
speed)  did he need to make a "B" license run or an "A" license run?  Wisdom
prevailed and he went out on the short course on a "B" license run.  But
leading up to that was a lot of discussion over just what those two words
meant.  I think a clear definition is needed.  Or at least a "due process"
for settling this type of issue.

The last issue I mentioned before has to do with the unlimited license (and
maybe even some lower level licenses).  Is the current requirement adequete?
This is a rhetorical question.  I don't need to be a party to that
discussion.  But I sure hope you guys at the Board/officer level talk about
that periodically.

Ed Weldon