RE: ATF or Brake fluid?

To: "Doug Odom" <dlodom@charter.net>
Subject: RE: ATF or Brake fluid?
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 16:11:30 -0500
Doug;

Any fluid is a "hydraulic fluid"-- even water would work but,

1. It boils at about 212F.
2. It rusts ferrous metals.
3. It freezes at 32F.
4. Its lubricity is nil.

On the plus side,

1. It is not compressible.
2. It is plentiful & cheap.
3. It is compatible with almost any type of seal.
4. It is non- flammable.

I would NOT use ATF in my brakes. Good old DOT5 silicone brake fluid
feels a bit spongy but it's the best choice in my opinion.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ