Re: Fast Lane

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>,
Subject: Re: Fast Lane
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 08:30:02 -0700
Keith and others--I like your third course idea for license passes and
practice.  Following resources are needed:

1. More salt real estate.  More support for Save the Salt.  Send your $.
2. SCTA/BNI Practice Course committee.  Anyone want to volunteer to lead (an
SCTA insider with lots of experience) or be a grunt (like me)?  Anyone
willing to draft and submit a business plan (or 2 or 3) for consideration or
to just be a framework for talk?
3. Survey a large group of racers:  How many of your runs at the salt (up to
say 200 mph) would you purposely have taken on a 1 mile practice course?
1.5 mile?  2 mile?  Note there would only be simple timing equipment good to
maybe the nearest one mph.  Or you could use your own GPS.
4. Investment money for timing and course equipment.  How much?
5. Consider the economics of putting record quality timing equipment on that
course at some later time.
6. Consider practicality of staging other low speed events on that course at
a later time.  Let's be creative........

I like the idea of approaching this problem objectively and in a
businesslike manner.  It may take a while and some good fortune to
accumulate the resources.  Are we willing to be patient and work at it?

Ed Weldon
Captain Eddie's Day Old Fish Market -- Featuring the modern miracle of
mechanical refrigeration.