Fast Lane

To: "land-speed submit" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fast Lane
From: "3 liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 04:32:38 -0700
In the many years I have been at the starting line I have just not seen the
problems that are being mentioned in this thread. Occasionally, there is a
hold up and Jim Jensen gives the other car the Ok and they go.  There are
always TWO cars warming up at the line and he can alternate as he sees fit.
Everyone else is suiting up more than 3 cars back and sweltering in the
SFI-15s and 20s. I'm amazed that the ambulances don't roll to the line for
heat stroke victims. Readiness at the line is NOT the issue that is being
exaggerated here. Other causes are the issue but the amount or entries is
the primary issue. If you averaged 5 minutes TOTAL (accelerating, timing,
and turn-out) for every run x 500 entries that is 41.6 hours divided by 2
courses equals 20.8 hours just to give everyone ONE run. In a 10 hour day it
ain't going to happen. So how about cutting the field in half?  Run only 250
cars per day. Run even number cars on even days and odd numbers etc. Morning
record runs would be run as usual. So it gives you a day off to work on the
car, sleep in, visit in the pits, whatever. Maybe even volunteer on your
off-day!  If the entries continue to grow, and we all hope they do.that is
the only answer other than requiring headlights :-)    -Elon