Re: by the numbers....

To: 23.weldon@comcast.net
Subject: Re: by the numbers....
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 23:38:50 EDT
In a message dated 10/14/2006 8:48:58 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
23.weldon@comcast.net writes:

Benn--  The number blocks is a good idea.  This is something that can be  put
up as a standing announcement and maybe posted in a semi-live display  at the
reg. trailer, each starting line and  prestage.

Ed

So why is using a car number system for calling up racers better than
calling racers by class??? It's the same thing, just another name.

So with your number system, the cars with the low numbers would run first
everyday? Besides, wouldn't you want to sit in line with cars in your class
instead of cars or motorcycles with numbers close to you? Wouldn't you want to
watch your competition as records are set and broken? Gives you a chance to
check out all the competition in your class in one place. When listening for
your class to be called you wait for "Special Construction to staging, Vintage
Roadsters are on deck". (the next class to be called) Also if you missed the
call because you were listening to your zillion to 1 compression fuel motor,
you  would click when you see your class leaving the pits. It would also be
easy to  yell, "What are they running next"? Easy for people to say "Vintage
Roadsters"  compared to " I think it's 500 something to 600 something next".

Say we go with the number system by car number like some favor. Here is a
sample announcement. "Car numbers 435 thru 489 report to staging. Car  numbers
492 thru 538 on deck. OK without reading back, what are the numbers  called and
who is on deck? See!!!Numbers are much harder to solidly register in  the
brain compared to a class name.

The number system makes no sense over calling racers up by class.

As to your problem with listening to a CB, you would have to do that anyway
even if you used a number system. I think when the SCTA checks CB's,  they
should tape the send key so it can't be activated! You want to talk to a
buddy,
use your cell, not the race broadcast frequency CB channel!

Otto
Back in form...