by the numbers....

To: "land-speed submit" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: by the numbers....
From: "3 liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:33:44 -0700
I kind of like the class call simply because I like to watch certain kinds
of cars run.  Knowing in advance, when they are going to run, I can plan my
day accordingly and get a magnum dose of good information about the cars. It
would also optimize driving back and forth from the pits. A lot of things
Otto said about being among your own competition would be a plus. However,
Chris and others have zeroed in on a fundamental attribute of Speed Week
that can't be adequately described but is part of its major charisma and
appeal. There is an air of individuality, laid-back, randomness and
non-regimentation, which allows individuals to set their own pace. You can
have a laid-back week or you can have a stressed-out thrash.but YOU set the
pace.

I think grouping of random cars, rather than class still retains some of the
flavor. Perhaps assigning cars to groups based on registration sign-in would
work. That is a totally random and democratic procedure.  As you check-in
you are assigned to group A. When that fills up the next sign-in is in group
B, etc. It is not based on car number or class, only your sign-in time. A-Z
would result about 19 cars per group with 500 entries.

Ed's comment about missing a call could be solved with a cannon. Fire it
every hour on the hour and then listen-up for Glen's call for a car group or
update. "We are sorry that Otto oiled the course. . . .Group Z report to
pre-stage in 30 minutes". I volunteer to load and fire the cannon :-)

JD it is a stretch to think that any new adopted procedure would compromise
the volunteers. Speed Week can't run without all their help and to think
that a new procedure would penalize them or make things even more difficult
for them, because of their volunteer duties, would be unreasonable.
Volunteers should be exempt or accommodated in some manner.  -Elon