by the numbers....

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: by the numbers....
From: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 18:25:06 -0700
How about just dividing the vehicle numbers into equal-sized groups (before or
at the very beginning of the meet), then drawing the groups at random for
starting order.  First group might be vehicle numbers 267 through 349.  Any
vehicles in that group could pre-stage and run if they were ready.  When that
group peters out group two is announced and those in group 2 can go to the
pre-stage lanes.  Perhaps this would be easier for people than listening for
their particular vehicle number (somebody said it was too stressful?).  If
you're in a group that is called, but you're not ready to run, you have to
wait until your group comes up in the rotation again.  I think there are a few
bugs in this, but those can be sorted with a variety of solutions I'll think
of later--my wife just called me again "Are you ready to go yet?", so that's
all for now.
Benn