Battery question - not really LSR...

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Battery question - not really LSR...
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 08:54:00 -0500
Yesterday I brought all four batteries inside - from our semi tractor -
to clean and charge 'em.  I wasn't able to get them to take enough
charge to start the truck outdoors.  One, or two, or maybe even three
of them probably will need replacing, based on what I've discovered.
But one thing I found has me wondering why it happens.  Maybe one or
more of you can help.

These are 1000 CCA 12V lead-acid batteries.  At least three of them
have four or five good cells -- and one dead one.  And in each of those
it's the last cell -- the one nearest the negative terminal.  A
floating-ball specific gravity tester shows four or five floaters in
the good cells, but that last one has (what must be) darn near drinking
water inside -- the balls drop like rocks.

Okay, the cell is dead and won't take a charge.  Why is it that
particular cell that went dead (vs. one of the cells mid-way through
the battery, maybe)?

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan