Re: Be jealous - non-LSR

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Be jealous - non-LSR
From: "Jim Dincau" <jdincau@qnet.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 11:37:08 -0800
> PS  Interesting note:  The clutch on that car has a harder push than on
> my '54 Oshkosh plow truck.  How'd anyone ever drive those Corvettes in
> traffic?

     It is probably a beefed up diaphragm clutch. In those days the only way
to provide more lock up with a diaphragm was to make the spring really
stout. They hadn't figured out how to add counter weight to the diaphragm
style yet and no leverage changes were possible like the Long and Borg and
Beck coil spring clutches. I had one in a 56 Chevy that was so strong the
car was still driveable after the diaphragm broke. It slipped but I got home
OK.
Jim in Palmdale