Another one bites the dust

To: "land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Another one bites the dust
From: "Jim Dincau" <jdincau@qnet.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 12:02:18 -0800
Hi all,
     I went over to our local drag strip, Los Angeles County Raceway to get
some alcohol for the November lakes meet. Bernie the owner/operator told me
they will be out of business in 6 or 8 months. He has several years to run
on his current lease but there is a clause that allows the sand and gravel
company that owns the property to cancel his lease if they need to mine on
the property. The price of aggregate is so high around here that they are
exercising the option because there is no room left to dig elsewhere. In the
current political climate they would never get a permit to mine at another
location so this is it. The motocross track is already half gone. That
leaves Famoso the only 1/4 mile strip in So. Cal. Lots of memories at that
dusty bumpy too short track. We set the top alcohol dragster speed and ET
record there in 1988.
Jim in Palmdale