Re: Hazard warning lights...

To: "Ellen Wilkinson" <gary_ellen@msn.com>, <Askotto@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Hazard warning lights...
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:01:47 -0800
Time to think "out of the box"
(CRINGE I do when I have to borrow words from the business world's fad of
the day dictionary; but this kind of fits)
1.  Elseware in the racing world they put serious radio communications in
the race car and the pit crew location.  The hardware is mature and
reasonably priced compared to the budget of most long course car teams.
Radio checks would be part of the starter's protocol prior to the run.  See
where I'm going with this?
Maybe make radio requirements based on speed of the car...
Glen, I'm sure you guys have talked about radios before..............
2.  Maybe in some future time we could put GPS technology to work to put
virtual mile markers on a car's instrument panel or into the earphones
inside a helmet.
3.  How about a balloon tethered at the 7 mile in the center? Would help
drivers of high speed cars orient themselves.  Would it be visible from the
tower as a wind indicator? would it be a maintenance headache?  Hard to
imagine how a  nylon rope baloon tether would be much of a hazard if a car
accidentally ran through it.  But how to anchor one to the salt without that
being  a hazard?.......maybe a large flat steel plate with holes in rounded
corners to attach a tow chain to.
Ed Weldon