Re: Hazard warning lights...

To: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Hazard warning lights...
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:43:45 -0500
On Nov 17, 2006, at 1:01 PM, Ed Weldon wrote:

2.  Maybe in some future time we could put GPS technology to work to put
virtual mile markers on a car's instrument panel or into the earphones
inside a helmet.

Ed Weldon

Ed, I don't know if standard-issue GPS units Update fast enough to
give a valid position location at race-speeds.  I've heard of folks
traveling at supra-legal speeds on the highways, using GPS to tell
them which exit to take -- and when they missed said exit it took too
long for the GPS to catch up - for them to make the next one, so they
ended up taking the third exit.

In other words, I don't think the GPS would tell the 200++ mph racer
that he just went outside the lines at the three mile -- 'til he's
about at the five (and also half way to the Interstate).

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan
              (that's 'way up north)