Re: Land Speed Racing at White Sands Missal Range

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, Askotto@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Land Speed Racing at White Sands Missal Range
From: ed@vetteracing.com
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:06:08 +0000
Show my a*s......It's a lot easier today with the hi-po cars you canbuy right
off the showroom floor, but in 1990 when I started running ,it was pretty darn
tough to average 150 mph (or more ) for 90 miles. Igenerally kept my foot all
the way to the floor for the first 53 miles,which meant 180+ on the straights.
Trivia fact; the Corvette Irun in LSR today was originally built for the
Silver State Unlimitedclass, but after some high-speed testing out in the
desert after Ifinished it, I thought it would be a walk in the park to break
the C/GTrecord (which was 201 at the time), so the car went to
Bonneville,where NOTHING is easy and I got spanked..... And yes, theydo keep
records and they do have a 200 mph club. You have to doo 200mph or better in
at least one of the 2 radar speed traps on the course,and then finish. The
hard word here is FINISH. Heck, sometime wehave a hard time making 5
miles.......
Ed