Re: High tech question..

To: drmayf@mayfco.com
Subject: Re: High tech question..
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:11:29 EST
Hi Mayf

The thermostat opens slowly and does not flap open all of a sudden like a
mouse trap closes. The opening speed is of course dependant on the water  temp
rising rate. Dropping a thermostat in boiling water won't be a true test of
opening speed as this doesn't assimilate your real world application where  the
water is heated more slowly. From what I've seen in the heated water on the
stove test, starting with cold water, is they open fully in about 10 seconds
from the time they start to open. You could always test your thermostat as
recommended before so you are dealing with closer to actual opening times.
Remember, the water in your engine block has been pre heated before you make
your
run. Say you typically preheat the block water to 140 degrees before you  make
your run. Take what ever temp you heat to and while measuring the  thermostat
opening time in the pan, start the stopwatch when the water in the  pan
reaches your preheat temp. Stop the clock at full opening and that is your
opening
time for your calculations. Hope this helps.

This is only my opinion from experience so temper the results with
scientific proof before applying.

Otto