Water Tank Plumbing Qs

To: LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Water Tank Plumbing Qs
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:15:36 -0800
Well, the water tank undergoes another major revision, lol. A stray
memory that Skip Higginbotham put into my head some time ago, caused me
to relook at my water tank and its orientaton. Back out to the shop this
morning to relook at the *how* of doing the tank in the car. Turns out
when I removed the things like previous water plumbing, move the battery
cable out of the way, and move the wiring harness and computer out of
the way, I can lay the whole mess down flat, sort of. Because of the
floor pan and tranny hump, it will opf necessity have to be up a bit
from the floor, but that is ok. If I fab it 24L x 12H x 14.5W it will
fit nicely. As just a box that means arounf  18 gallons if filled to
capacity. But I have to discount the radiator and its water, so around
15 gallons as a heat sink. Plus, I think I can actually get to the hose
connectons!  The thermostat is a 180 degree unit and I suppose the water
could get hotter than that because of the 50/50 mix and 28 psig cap, but
I do not know how much hotter. I will log that data on one of my runs
and I plan on having a thermometer stuck into the tank water as well.
With the extra water in the trunk mounted tank, I see no way it can not
work (yeah, now I have just screwed the pooch by making a public
statement, lol).

Now I need to plan on how to get the water to and from the motor.  The
water fittings on the radiator are 1.75 for the return and 1.5 for the
supply side. What is the collective wisdom of the group regarding the
use of aluminum tubing over steel or hose all the way? Looks like I will
need to get several 90 degree bends in both sizes as well as some
straight sections. Oh, and who has the very best prices on tubing and
bends?  I am leaning towards aluminum simply because it gets rid of heat
better than steel and the runs will be several feet.

Next, since I have high pressure caps on everything, how do I keep hoses
on the tubing? I know there are bead roller doohickeys to put beads on
pipes, but they are kinda pricey. What other techniques can I use to
keep the hoses from sliding off? Double the number of hose clamps? Or what?

Next is what kinda rules issue am I gonna face with having this tank in
the passenger side of the car? With it's plumbing? I see guys with dry
sump tanks in the seat next to them and that is flamable. So what is the
consensus here?

Ok, I am ready to listen!

mayf, way off and far out in pahrump...