RE: Bad TIG bubbles

To: "'atrav'" <atrav@copper.net>, "'LSR list'"
Subject: RE: Bad TIG bubbles
From: <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 21:28:31 -0500
Why try to weld over all the mess?? I always thought when things go bad
before trying anything else get back to uncontaminated.. BTW Miller,
Lincoln and Hobart have some great websites and message boards with
links to unlimited amouts of info and FAQ for things that go bad..
Dave

Subject: Bad TIG bubbles

I had a weird TIG problem today. I wanted to weld two brackets to a
frame, both brackets were identical, steel frame, mild steel brackets.
Both brackets got two weld beads each, about four inches apart. The
first bracket welded like butter, just fine. The second bracket, the
first weld was fine, but the second was totally horrid. As soon as I got
a weld puddle it would bubble and spark and either end up in a big
crater or be very porous, like a shaken soda the molten steel would foam
up. Think of those close up pictures of the cross section of bone, tons
of little holes with threads of steel holding it together.I tried more
and less amps, more and less psi for the argon, new tungsten, new rod,
and etc. I also tried to start the bead from the other direction (about
an inch away from the first bad area) and it did the same thing. Then, I
made some other welds elsewhere, and they were just fine. So something
is very unique for that one weld area, what could it be? What
contamination could cause such boiling of the puddle? It was beveled
with my hand grinder, just like the rest, so the steel was clean.

I'll grind the ugly weld off tomorrow, but this is a very critical
bracket, so I need to get it solved.

-Aron-

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.