RE: Bad TIG bubbles

To: "'atrav'" <atrav@copper.net>, "'LSR list'"
Subject: RE: Bad TIG bubbles
From: "Neil Albaugh" <neil@dbelltech.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 14:19:36 -0700
Aron;

Did you run out of shielding gas?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
[mailto:owner-land-speed@Autox.Team.Net] On Behalf Of atrav
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2007 7:19 PM
To: LSR list
Subject: Bad TIG bubbles

I had a weird TIG problem today. I wanted to weld two brackets to a frame,
both brackets were
identical, steel frame, mild steel brackets. Both brackets got two weld
beads each, about four
inches apart. The first bracket welded like butter, just fine.
The second bracket, the first weld was fine, but the second was totally
horrid. As soon as I got a
weld puddle it would bubble and spark and either end up in a big crater or
be very porous, like a
shaken soda the molten steel would foam up. Think of those close up pictures
of the cross section of
bone, tons of little holes with threads of steel holding it together.I tried
more and less amps,
more and less psi for the argon, new tungsten, new rod, and etc. I also
tried to start the bead from
the other direction (about an inch away from the first bad area) and it did
the same thing.
Then, I made some other welds elsewhere, and they were just fine. So
something is very unique for
that one weld area, what could it be? What contamination could cause such
boiling of the puddle?
It was beveled with my hand grinder, just like the rest, so the steel was
clean.

I'll grind the ugly weld off tomorrow, but this is a very critical bracket,
so I need to get it
solved.

-Aron-