Re: Fw: Andy Granatelli Hall of Fame Gala Dinner

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>, "J.D. Tone" <gmc6power@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Andy Granatelli Hall of Fame Gala Dinner
From: "Tom Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 08:24:14 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Yes, I got one , too! Andy and I spent lots of time on the telephone when I
was president of SCTA. He was always promoting something. We timed his cars
at the Palm Springs Airport, Riverside Raceway and at Jean NV, south of Las
Vegas on the old highway.

He first was trying to impress Chrysler with the Paxton Superchargers. He
ran a '61 Chrysler "300" and a '62 Plymouth with the supercharges with no
luck getting Chrysler to adopt the units. He then went to Studebaker and was
successful in getting the Paxton unit on the Avanti. We did a
pre-introduction of the Avanti  at Jean NV with all the fanfare. The Avanti
ran 172 mph on the old highway. Not too long after the car was introduced,
Studebaker decided to hang it up. Studebaker bought STP and made Andy the
president.

Andy has done it all...and promoted his way to where he wanted to go. I
remember that at Bonneville we had to regulate the size of decals because of
Andy's super-sized STP Decals.  To his credit, he was and is a great
supporter of auto racing of any kind.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC