Re: [Land-speed] How About - - No Cam at all?

To: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, lsr list autox
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] How About - - No Cam at all?
From: Chris Harris <yesford@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 12:58:30 +1200
  The use of a valve train consisting of camshaft, lifters, pushrods, rockers
and heavy springs is really a fairly primitive way to open and close valves,
and is certainly a performance limiter.

  I hear what your saying Dick and totally agree. Even still using a
reciprocating engine amazes me in this hi-tech World. That's not to say I like
the rotary Wankel design cause I don't. That sound (which is
important........right)  just doesn't do it for me.

  Getting back to valuing systems, one that is super simple, reliable and
proven but it would seem, underdeveloped is rotary valves like the disc type
used on some 2 stroke scooters etc.

  I remember seeing a rotary log type rotary valve layout being tried on a
formula style V8. It apparently worked fine but didn't flow air well. Any
comments ?

  Chris H..............NZed.