Re: [Land-speed] How About - - No Cam at all?

To: "Jon Bishop" <jon.the.wise@gmail.com>, "lsr list autox"
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] How About - - No Cam at all?
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 21:59:44 -0700
I looked over Sturman's website.  If I take what they say there at face
value it looks like they've pretty much solved the first order control and
valve actuation problems even for pretty high rpm's.  I note the following
words on one Sturman web page: "Integrated position feedback".  This is
pretty key IMHO.  I'd be willing to bet they are currently wrestling with
the problems of making their hardware work in the tough environment of real
world engine operation.
The cynic in me notes that the achievements they are able to publicise date
back 6 years (if you don't count the 2005 DOE contract). So does the
copyright date on web site layout.
 Too bad they seem to be a bit full of themselves to talk to any little
guys.  Folks like us are just as capable of signing an NDA as some big
corporation and probably a bit more likely to actually honor it.
That DOE contract probably supports several salaries and goes a long way to
pay the rent and buy hardware for the shop.  But I doubt if they can afford
to pay someone like Roush to build them a test bed car.
Maybe there's still an opportunity for one of our accomplished land speed
racing guys to make an interesting connection there.  The best way would be
to make a direct contact with Eddie Sturman and feel him out.  Would likely
require a pretty serious commitment.  How about pushing the frontier of
modern small bike engine technology beyond the limits imposed by the
conventional valve train?  And without needing a Formula 1 racing budget to
do it.
OK, back to reality............
Ed Weldon