Re: [Land-speed] Tires,Mileage,etc/non LSR ?

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>, <BWANA343@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Tires,Mileage,etc/non LSR ?
From: "Tom Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:36:05 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
My thinking on this is that altering from the engineered gearing will likely
result in no gain, or worse, a decrease in mileage. Some years ago, I had a
transmission tech that got involved with building an overdrive system (on my
time I might add). He eventually went into production. His primary market
was motor homes. He found that in many cases the mileage would improve for a
short time and then go back to the previous mileage. Computers have a
learning curve and will adjust themselves to do what they are designed to do
and quite often the engine is more efficient in a lower gear. Loaded engines
have lower vacuum and lower vacuum is a computer's signal for more fuel.
Todays' computers are even more sensitive to changes of inputs and some will
not tolerate changes in gearing, etc.

Each month, I write a short article for the local newspaper (an ad) and have
researched different ways to improve mileage and have seen references to
bigger, usually heavier wheels & tires resulting in decreased mileage. I
have cautioned people to be wary of mileage scams that are now rampant. I
have also decided to research some of the more promising "scams" by
investing in them myself and see what the results might be. I purchased the
Run your car on Water + Fuel" material; 104 pages of detailed instruction on
the construction of the device which looks to be something that will work,
but,  there are disclaimers warning about compatibility with computer
systems and what has to be done to make it work with them. Plus it is
probably illegal, at least in California. Most add-on devices are!

In the past, I have also doubted that the proposed 55 mph limits on vehicles
would be effective with todays more streamlined vehicles, but from material
I recently read about the throttle sensors now being used (no physical
connection between the throttle pedal and the fuel system) it seems that the
engineering is focused on 55 mph as the desired speed "sweet spot" for most
all vehicles. Having said all this, it appears that the most useful thing
you can do is to drive sensibly. Excessive use of heavy throttle and/or
braking is expensive.

Tom, (Hot & Smokey) Redding CA - 216 D/FCC

faint_grain.jpg]

IMSTP9.gif]