Re: [Land-speed] Tires,Mileage,etc/non LSR ?

To: "Tom Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Tires,Mileage,etc/non LSR ?
From: "Ed Van Scoy" <ed@vetteracing.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 04:32:48 +0000
As for the 55 mph speed limit, there is no singlesweet spot as the gearing
varies from car to car. I made a 6000 milecoast to coast trip in my vette -
never re-setting the avg. MPG button- and got 30 mpg. In 6th gear, at 85 mph,
it was turning 1700 rpm. Togo 55 mph, I would have had to drop 2 gears at
least and would probablyturned more RPM..... I dare a Prius to try to get 30
MPG across Texas,air on, (radar detector on) at 85 MPH! As I recall, whenthey
passed the 55 MPH limit in the 70's. the big rigs got worse fueleconomy
because they had to drop 2 or more gears to comply, which putthem out of their
optimum operating range. As Tom mentions, thereis no substitute for prudent
driving.....
Ed