Re: [Land-speed] Tires,Mileage,etc/non LSR ?

To: Tom Bryant <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Tires,Mileage,etc/non LSR ?
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:01:13 -0700
Tom, Ed, all..
not withstanding what Tom quoted, My towncar gets far better millage at
75-80 mph than it does at 55 or 65.  I went to Texas recently for a
family reunion and the average speed between there and return here,
including the low speed in town driving there was 70 mph and the fuel
mileage was 26.5 mpg.  Not as good as Ed's  'vette but then again I have
a sofa on wheels. To me the issue revolves around the torque peak of the
motor. as that is where the best BSFC comes in (isn't that right, Dave?)
so riding  near that is best for millage provided the motor has the
beans at that speed to pull the gears and against aero and rolling
resistance forces.  So many factors need to be taken into account.  I
drove back from LA one weekend and there was a tail wind of about 25
mph...my mpg shot up to 33 mpg just from not  having to fight that small
amount of wind.  I never use the cruise control because it is always
applying the throttle up and down and each time enriching the fuel. So I
drive level up hill and foot off and coast down as long as my speed is
near the peak. of engine efficiency.

mayf