Re: [Land-speed] Tires,Mileage,etc/non LSR ?

To: land-speed@autox.team.net, BWANA343@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Tires,Mileage,etc/non LSR ?
From: <jonwennerberg@nancyandjon.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:28:03 -0400
Here's my report:  On my '04 Duramax (4x4 GMC cab and a half, about 7700#)
I've run stock tires (LT245-75R16) and also
the next size bigger -- 265's.  I was in the habit of recording all fuel put
into the tank, as accurately as the pumps measured
it (readouts are down to the hundredth of a gallon).  I also recorded the
mileage on the odo as I put the fuel in.  So - I had a
record of the first 100,000 miles or so of fuel economy/use.  I also, by the
way, calibrated my odometer useing a GPS, so I'm
confident that the miles, as read off the odo times a small correction factor,
are correct.  I got various mileage depending on
the load and so on, but -- when I went to the larger tires and corrected the
odo for the slightly larger circumference of the
tires (they were about 3/4" taller, which'd come out about 2 1/4" more
circumference) -- my fuel economy went down.
Down by about 5% on average (for load and those other factors).  As soon as I
put the stock-size rubber on (new set of tires)
the economy went back to the original numbers.

The tires were of similar tread pattern, manufacturer, and so on, so I figure
that the difference was from the tire size.  Which
tells me that themanufacturer geared the truck for those size tires -- and
only those.

TYhat's what I found -- putting bigger tires on my truck cost me fuel, not
SAVED me fuel.  YRMV.

Jon

On Dom Jul 20 14:54 , BWANA343@aol.com sent: